The New Therapies Council
The New Therapies (NT) Council is a group of experts that supports the Swedish county councils on questions concerning new drug therapies, with the aim of enabling equal drug treatment for patients throughout the country.
The New Therapies Council is commissioned to make recommendations to the county councils on the use of new drug therapies.
The county councils have appointed one representative with medical or pharmaceutical expertise per health care region to the council. In addition, the council includes members with expertise in for instance, ethics, health economy, oncology, horizon scanning and patient engagement.
Task and responsibilities
- Give recommendations on the use of new drug therapies included in the managed introduction process on behalf of all county councils
- Determine which drugs are to be included in the managed introduction process based on horizon scanning and/or nominations from county councils
- Initiate health economic assessments of drug therapies by the Dental and Pharmaceuticals Benefits Agency (TLV) for drugs used in hospital care that are included in the managed introduction process
- Communication of follow-up results
- Provide support on principal matters concerning new drug therapies that are raised to the national level by a county council.